This is a carousel. Use Next and Previous buttons to navigate
Editor’s Note: In recognition of National Historic Preservation Month, local historian Cindy Reinhardt tells the stories behind some of Edwardsville’s historic buildings in a series of eight articles in the month of May.
No documentation has been found to determine exactly when the house at 404 N. Buchanan St. was built, but there are clues. Frederick George and Phillipena (Ritter) Bernius bought the property in two parts in 1878 and 1879, before there was a house, and they are listed as living there in the 1894 Edwardsville City Directory. Fred took out a mortgage of $2,000 in 1891 which could indicate that is when the house was built, but there is no documentation to prove it. What is certain, is that the house was built for the Bernius family.