LAKE COUNTY — January is Radon Awareness month and the Central Michigan District Health Department invites you and your family to join others in taking the “test” for radon in your home.
Radon is a class A carcinogen (cancer-causing) radioactive gas. You cannot see, smell, or taste radon, but it is a problem in many homes. When people breathe air which contains radon, they increase the risk of getting lung cancer. In fact, the Surgeon General says that radon is the leading cause of lung cancer deaths among nonsmokers in America. About 22,000 Americans will die each year of radon-related lung cancer. More than 600 of these people will reside in Michigan. The risk of lung cancer is especially high if anyone in the home is also a smoker.