By Terry Simmons Special to the Star LUTHER \u2014 The Fellowship Church of Luther will celebrate its 40th anniversary during the Luther Logging Days this week. The Church began on July 4, 1973, with its first meeting being held just outside of town at an old scout clubhouse. It was known as the Luther Baptist Church under the director of Dr. Ronald Lucas, the original founder. (The name was later changed to Fellowship Baptist Church under the leadership of Rev. Hector Sharpeta). When cold weather overcame the old heating system, the church moved into the Luther Elementary School and rented space there. Soon after, the church family purchased one of the first residences to be built in Luther, the original home of William A. Luther, which he built in 1881. Mr. Luther and his family lived there until his death in 1891.Though it has had many owners through the years, not much changed in its structure. In 1966, the owners were Mr. and Mrs. Percy Reed who then sold it to Mr. H. Gordon Douglas, who was a retired schoolteacher from Detroit. He turned the location into an antique shop and named it \u201cThe Luther House\u201d. It remained as such for several years until Dr. Lucas and his church family purchased the location in the fall of 1974. The discussion about the purchase price has brought the amount of $6,000 to mind, a good deal at the time! The house has been changed from its first form and now stands as a church building with a steeple and new additions \u2014 a new sanctuary, new wing with a nursery and restrooms and a drive through for inclement weather attendees. Lower level basements have been added under both the old house and new additions. Rev. Kenneth J. Simmons \u2014 now is in his 9th year of leading the flock \u2014 follows 12 other men, who also have served as pastor. These past preachers and members, as well as the public, are invited to join the church family in a two-day celebration to God for His goodness to the church. The schedule of events begin with an invitation to come walk in the parade on Saturday morning, meeting at the Lion\u2019s Club on North State Street at 9:30 a.m. There will be a hot dog roast for all guests and it is free and open to the community at 5:30 p.m. on the church grounds where games, food and fellowship will be enjoyed. On Sunday, a continental breakfast will be served from 9:30 to 10:45 a.m. in the lower level of the church. A morning worship service will begin at 11 a.m. in the sanctuary where Dr. Ron Lucas will speak. At 12:15 p.m., a church dinner will be provided. An afternoon service of praise and testimony will begin at 2 p.m. This service will feature former pastors who will be sharing stories of their time at Fellowship Baptist Church. All members of yesterday and today also will share of their memories. At 7 p.m., an evening of music will be enjoyed with an old fashion singspiration. There will be a time of light refreshments following. To end the day, just before dusk, the church family and guests will walk down and watch the fireworks at the Luther millpond. The church family is looking forward to welcoming you personally to our 40th anniversary event.