Celebrating the Easter season
LAKE COUNTY — Easter egg hunts and parties to entertain youngsters kicked off this past weekend, and religious observances such as Palm Sunday have been drawing people together to observe the Easter season.
Dozens of children scampered the grounds of the Luther Lions Hall gathering brightly-colored Easter eggs on Saturday, and afterward, were treated to hot dogs and chips from the Luther Lions Club, who sponsored the event.
Members of the Baldwin Lions Club and VFW Post No. 5315 and post auxiliary also provided a fun time for kids on Saturday.
“More than 60 children enjoyed games, prizes, food, raffle drawings and, of course, hunting lots of eggs,” said Baldwin Lions Club member Laura Johnson.
The fun continued as crowds of kids filled the Pathfinder Community Library to enjoy a movie, snacks and other Easter-themed fun.
To celebrate Palm Sunday, fourth- and fifth-graders from the Baldwin Elementary Honors Choir, under the direction of Julie Sherlock, performed song selections at Covenant Community Methodist Church in Baldwin.
The Baldwin Congregational Church presented the Faith Community Choir in an Easter Cantata, “Come to the Cross.” The program also included lively violin solos by John Peterson.
Residents still have another week of celebration with the upcoming events beginning today.
• The Baldwin Congregational Church will host a Maundy Thursday service at 7 p.m. on Thursday, April 18, at the church. There will be a foot-washing service with communion following open for anyone interested.
• Luther United Methodist Church, will have a Good Friday service at 1 p.m. on Friday, April 19.
• Chase Township Public Library will have an Easter social function at 1 p.m. on Friday, April 19, which will include an egg hunt, crafts and snacks at the library, 8400 North St., Chase.
• Grand Oaks Nursing Center, 600 Denmark St., Baldwin, will have its annual Easter egg hunt at 2 p.m. on Friday, April 19. The community is invited.
• There will be a self-guided Good Friday service from 4 to 7 p.m. on Friday, April 19, at the Chase Barton United Methodist Church, 6957 Depot St., Chase. People are invited to come and reflect, as several stations depicting the message of Good Friday will be set up.
• Baldwin Congregational Church will have a Good Friday service at 7 p.m. on Friday, April 19, with a Tenebrae Service of Lights, scripture and prayer.
• The Sauble, Elk and Eden Fire Department is hosting an Easter egg hunt at 11 a.m. on Saturday, April 20, at Skinner Park, 5074 W. 10 1/2 Mile Road, Irons. The hunt begins at 11 a.m. and children up to the age of 12 can participate. All children must be registered before 11 a.m. to take part.
• In Idlewild, Shawn and Amy’s Easter egg hunt for ages 2-12, will take place at 12:30 p.m. on Saturday, April 20, at 7450 Coffey Ave., Idlewild. Kids must be able to walk and pick up eggs by themselves, but if a special needs child needs an adult to walk with them, let organizer Shawn Coffey, know.
• On Easter Sunday, Baldwin Congregational Church will have the Community Sonrise Service at 7 a.m., Sunday, April 21, at the church, with music, dance and celebration. A free breakfast will follow the service.
• Luther United Methodist Church will have an Easter service at 9 a.m. on Sunday, April 21.
• NaTah-Ka South is hosting an Easter Sunday egg hunt beginning at 1 p.m. on Sunday, April 21, at 6392 W. 76th St., Baldwin.