1926: Off the Press
For – OFF THE PRESS 1926 – 90 years ago
From the Lake County Star February 12, 1926 Edition
1. A Ludington dispatch in the Herald states that the United Home Electric Company considered at a New York meeting of the Fitkin Utilities the possibility of extending its powerline to Baldwin. Manager B.E. Watz of the Ludington branch is authority for the statement. The Pere Marquette has apparently abandoned the proposed Delco installation for lighting the station and coal dock and it is very possible that a cooperative movement between the village and railroad company would produce results. There would be a vast increase in the amount of utilities use and the owners of private plants are willing to contribute both funds and patronage.
Mrs. Hattie Duffing, wife of William Duffing, died Wednesday morning after an illness of only a few days following an attack of inflammation of the brain. The attack came upon her suddenly Thursday evening though she had been ailing previously. A blood clot or pressure bereft here of her reason and she had to be placed under opiates as potent as her weakened condition would permit up to the time of her death, which Drs. Field and Miller stated at the beginning was a matter of days only. Mrs. Duffing was born May 12, 1869, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Alexander Ross. In 1891 the family moved to Baldwin . . . The following year, July 24, 1892 she married William Duffing of Baldwin and has made her home here since then, living in the same cottage occupied by her parents, since remodeled and enlarged by her husband. She is survived by her husband, a foster son, Harry F. Duffing, two brothers and one sister.
Mrs. Ella A. Randall, widow of David J. Randall, who settled in Lake County in 1868 died in Reed City on Jan. 29 following a long illness and aged 78 years . . . (she and her husband) settled in Chase Township. They lived there until 1913 when they moved to Reed City. Four children survive her, Elsie R. Randall, Mrs. L.E. Thompson, Roy A. Randall and Forrest D. Randall.
3. A dance will be given tonight (Friday) in I.O.O. F. hall by a group of young men for a social good time. A good orchestra has been engaged, a light luncheon will be served for those who wish it, and the program will embrace all the dances desired by the dancers. If this dance is successful in bringing out a good crowd, a bit later it will be followed by another the proceeds of which will go to the Izaak Walton league for the defense fund in the Gerhardt case.
4. NEW SNOW PLOW IS DOING GREAT WORK. Clears out M20 full width so cars may travel at near summer pace. Moves drifts 54 easily. Calamity howlers who predicted heavy expense and dire failure when the new snowplow was put at the roads so late in the season with the trail heavily packed, went ‘way, ‘way back to the extreme rear and made themselves inconspicuous as possible when the new snow bus pranced over the trunklines this week an showed its stuff. It not only failed to quit, but it ironed out some of the finest trails we have had all winter, and did it in jig time.
Speed is the big boy’s middle name. There are four speeds ahead and anyone camping along M63 Friday would have thought it was using them all. It took just 42 minutes to plow the tweleve miles of trunkline from Luther to Peacock, and it was the first plow over the road this year . . . In the afternoon the plowing of 54 was resumed and despite the frozen ruts and ice banks made by the recent thaw and freeze, snow, ice and frozen slush were crushed and tossed aside with ease. In the high drifts at Marlboro corners and Little South Camp it was especially effective, getting its nose under the comb and cutting out a good, smooth driveway . . . The Poor Farm hills (Chase) were similarly treated and the hardest bit of road in the county is now almost as clear as in summer. The plow did fine work here, working back and forth on each drifted area until it was thoroughly cleaned.
Both truck and plow are built in Cadillac by the Acme Company. The truck is a three-ton heavy duty with five inch tires and dump body. The motor is six cylinders and develops 65 horsepower. There are four forward speeds and one reverse, which give it a range from almost unlimited power and traction in first speed, fully loaded, to speeds of 25 to 30 miles an hour in high. The plow is made of steel reinforced with angle-iron braces on the inner surface and all trussed and cross-braced inside to withstand the tremendous pressures and shocks. It is shaped like a pair of plowshares with a flare of seven feet and with an unusually long and pointed nose to get under the snow . . . The truck carries 25 gallons of gasoline and will average five miles to the gallon or better. Patrolman Joe Farrington is driving it following a day of instruction from the factory men . . . Fears expressed by farmers that the plow would take off all the snow and spoil the sleighing are groundless. The plow leaves several inches on snow and really improves sleighing. Its greatest benefit will come in the spring when without question the roads will be clear of snow and dry a full two weeks earlier than they would be without plowing.
5. Idlewild has expanded decidedly in the ten years of its existence and has several adjoining suburbs and associated enterprises that have so grown into the summer colony life that they may be regarded as part of Idlewild in itself. There are, however, many independent enterprises that seek to sell their wares and so play upon the Idlewild name and people have purchased locations so remote from Idlewild itself as to be a grievous disappointment.
“Near” is a very relative term and displays great elasticity when applied in a legal sense. We are “near” Chicago, as compared with New York and near Grand Rapids as compared with Chicago. Dealers advising that their properties are “near” Idlewild should be pinned down to “how near” and then allowance should be made, because the distance of a few city blocks in Chicago is a long, long way in the Michigan woods and may have no social connection whatever.
Idlewild proper lies directly south of Trunkline M20 (US 10 today) and is marked by the four pillars of stone contributed by the Lot Owners Association. Idlewild proper surrounds the Island and Idlewild lake, the Island being purchased by the Idlewild Improvement Co. after being homesteaded by E.G. Branch. The Idlewild Resort Co., the original owners, closed their books, in view of the rapid sales and had no more lots for sale.
Mr. and Mrs. H.O. Wilson purchased a beautiful tract of land just across the street from one of the main residence sections of Idlewild and founded Paradise Gardens . . . Idlewild Heights, opened by Rev. H. Franklin Bray, lies across the road from Paradise Gardens and flanks Idlewild plat along its east boundary . . . Idlewild Terrace, just now being marketed by the Idlewild Resort Co., lies on the river and tow charming lakes, south of Idlewild Heights. . . It is a wise plan for people who are approached to invest in other locations to get into touch with the people familiar with the situation here, or better yet, look over the locations personally . . . Look before you leap.